ENTRY DEADLINE MARCH 18TH
NEW EXHIBIT DATES FOR 2017!
Alexandria Museum of Art
30th September Competition
June 2 – September 22, 2017
ENTRIES MUST BE COMPLETED ON CaFE.
For its 40th Anniversary, the Alexandria Museum of Art will be installing its first permanent exhibition galleries in
· All artists over the age of 18 – working in any medium – are eligible.
· All work must be original and must have been completed in the last two years (2015 or later).
· AMoA encourages artists working in video and other experimental media to submit entries for judging.
· By entering the competition, the artist agrees that all entered work will be available for exhibition if chosen. No substitutions will be allowed.
· Each artist may submit TWO full view works of art with a non-refundable entry fee of $40. (Additional works, including views and details of 3D works may be submitted for a fee $20 per each entry.)
· Entries will be blind juried by digital images.
· All digital images submitted must be smaller than 5MB and saved as a JPG at the highest resolution possible. Video files must be a maximum of 100 MB.
· Deadline for entry is March 18, 2017.
· Video entries must not exceed 30 minutes in length.
· No work should exceed seven (7) feet (84”) in any direction, or 200 lbs. in weight. Entries exceeding these limitations will automatically be disqualified.
· If digital images are not correctly representative of work chosen, AMoA has the right to disqualify the entry from the exhibition.
· By entering the competition, the artist agrees to allow their work to reproduced for the purpose of publicity.
· Entry must include digital images, entry fee, and a maximum 100 word artist statement for catalog and label use only (not available to juror before selected).
· ALL SELECTED WORKS MUST ARRIVE PRE-PAID BY May 19, 2017 – ALONG WITH A PRE-PAID RETURN ADDRESS LABEL (no order forms with account numbers will be accepted, must be a completed label).
· Artists who do not adhere to any of the above rules will be subject to disqualification at the discretion of museum staff.
To be awarded at the exhibition opening on June 2, 2017:
First Place: $800
Second Place: $500
Third Place: $300
Honorable Mention: $100
Honorable Mention: $100
Honorable Mention: $100
To be awarded at the close of
Purchase Award selected by museum staff & board
AMoA proudly welcomes Mark Tullos as the juror for the 30th September Competition. As the 30th year of our annual competition and the 40th anniversary of the Alexandria Museum of Art, the AMoA staff is happy to welcome back a former AMoA Director as the competition juror.
Mark A Tullos, Jr., has served as Assistant Secretary for the Office of State Museum and Director of the Hilliard University Art Museum at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. He has served as Executive Director in art museums and visual arts organizations for over 30 years. In the 1990s Tullos was Director for the Alexandria Museum of Art. Under his eight-year administration, the Alexandria Museum of Art completed a six million dollar campaign for the expansion of museum facilities and the creation of a larger operations endowment. Tullos also served as the founding director of the Walter Anderson Museum of Art in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.
Tullos has also served as curator and juror for a number of exhibitions of contemporary art over the past two decades. In 1995, he was the recipient of the Nancy Hanks Memorial Award for Professional Excellence given by the National Endowment for the Arts and most recently was nominated for a prize from the Giacometti Foundation in Paris for his work in protecting the rights of art and artists.
Born and raised in Baton Rouge he is a graduate in Fine Art from Louisiana State University and has conducted graduate studies at Stephen F. Austin State University and Museum Management Institute conducted by the Getty Foundation.
March 18 Application deadline.
April 17 Jury notification by email.
No phone calls please!
May 19 Deadline for receipt of juried works and pre-paid return shipment label.
June 2 Artists’ Reception and Gallery Talk.
Sept. 22 Exhibition Closes.
Oct. 1 Deadline for pick up of hand delivered work.
Shipping of art work with pre-paid return label provided by the artist begins.
Exhibit Delivery and Packaging
· After notification of selection, ship entries to:
Alexandria Museum of Art, 933 Second Street, Alexandria, LA 71301.
· All artwork must arrive no later than May 19, 2017.
· ALL SHIPMENTS MUST HAVE A PRE-PAID RETURN LABEL FOR THE RETURN OF WORK. (Example: FedEx, UPS, or USPS.) NO ORDER FORMS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
· Be sure to select a carrier that delivers to Alexandria, LA.
· Hand deliveries will be accepted Tues.-Fri., 10am-5pm.
· Please do NOT include personal checks for return shipping.
· All artwork must have a completed identification card attached to the backside.
· All shipped works must be in sturdy reusable packaging.
· Do not use styrofoam peanuts or pieced boxes.
· Opening instructions should be printed on the outside.
· All necessary installation instructions must be included with the work.
· All damaged packages will be returned unopened C.O.D.
· When open packages contain damaged works the artist will be consulted.
· Return shipping of artwork will begin October 1, 2017.
· ALL WORK WILL BE SHIPPED USING THE PRE-PAID RETURN LABEL SUPPLIED BY THE ARTIST.
· AMoA will not take responsibility for works returned undeliverable.
· Art work unclaimed after one year becomes the property of AMoA
· Selected work must be display ready.
· All 2-D work should be wired for hanging, and where appropriate, framed with Plexiglas.
· Any work notably different from the submitted digital file will be disqualified.
· Any submitted artwork must be available for exhibition. No substitutions will be allowed.
Sales and Liability
· A 30% commission will be charged on all sales.
· Every reasonable precaution will be taken to assure protection of entries, but the Alexandria Museum of Art assumes no responsibility for loss or damage from any cause during transit.
· Works will be insured for the duration of the show while on AMoA premises.
· Any entries delivered without insurance value will be assigned a maximum value of $500.
The images and texts associated with the objects on this website are protected under United States copyright laws. We are pleased to share these materials as an educational resource for the public for non-commercial, educational, and personal use only, or for fair use as defined by law. If you are interested in using images or text from this website, please contact the Museum.