AMoA’s 2020 Youth Art Month
Juried Student Competition
December 19, 2019 Call for Entries Opens - see guidelines on how to enter
February 5, 2020 Entry deadline
February 12, 2020 Acceptance Notifications
February 22, 2020 Delivery Deadline
March 6, 2020 6:00pm Opening Reception
March 14, 2020 Youth Art Month Festival at AMoA
March 6 - April 11, 2020 YAM Exhibition Dates at AMoA
Selected pieces for the 2020 Youth Art Month Exhibition will be on display at the Alexandria Museum of Art and open to the public March 6 – Saturday, April 11, 2020. All entering students, teachers and families are invited to attend.
All K-12 students residing in Rapides Parish are eligible to enter and all visual mediums are accepted. Awards for First, Second and Third Places, Honorable Mentions and a Viewer’s Choice Award will be presented during the Youth Art Month Festival on Saturday, March 14, 2020!
Visit http://themuseum.org/teachers for more information
To enter your students' work, please download Instructions and Guidelines.
Youth Art Month Festival ~ Saturday, March 14, 2020
Youth Art Month (YAM) in March is an annual observance to emphasize the value of art and art education for all children and to encourage public support for quality school art programs. YAM provides a forum for acknowledging skills that are not possible in other subjects. Art Education develops self-esteem, appreciation of the work of others, self-expression, cooperation with others, and critical thinking skills. All of these skills are vital to the success of our future leaders – our children.
The Alexandria Museum of Art celebrates YAM and supports the creativity of our youth with a festival featuring art from educational FREE interactive art activities, demonstrations, art and food vendors and more. AMoA’s Annual YAM Festival will be Saturday, March 14, 2020.
We are currently seeking Art Activity Leaders, Demonstrators and Volunteers to assist with the festival activities for a day that promises to be a blast filled with art, fun and learning for everyone! If you are interested in sharing your skills, expertise and time with the children of our community, please complete the appropriate form and return it to AMoA or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 318-443-3458 with your information or questions.
The Purposes of Youth Art Month
1. To direct attention to the value of art education, which develops divergent and critical thinking; multicultural awareness; and technical, communication, and expressive skills.
2. To increase community, business and governmental support for art education.
3. To recognize that art is a necessity for the full development of better quality of life for all people.
4. To expand art programs in schools and stimulate new ones.
5. To increase community understanding and interest in art and art education through
involvement in art exhibits, workshops, and other creative venues.
6. To provide additional opportunities for individuals of all ages to participate in creative art learning.
7. To encourage commitment to the arts by students, community organizations, and individuals everywhere.
8. To recognize art education as a viable component in the total education curricula that develops citizens of a global society.
Join us to celebrate the creative talents of the youth in our community!